After You: Sixty Years in the Life of a Dublin Doorman By Damien O’Connor CG animation
1. This work is about . . . 60 years in the life of a Dublin doorman as he watches the city he loves change around him.
2. I made this work because . . . I wanted to show the lesser-known parts of Dublin city in a unique way. Whilst the city is constantly changing, it has managed to hold on to its character and I wanted to tie that into a compelling story.
3. I hope when people see this work they will . . . be entertained and moved. If they live in Dublin I hope they will stop and look at the city around them, not just the more familiar postcard images, but the nooks and crannies that still lurk behind the modern facades.
4. In terms of art history, this work . . . as an animation, the editing and directing is more in tune with classic 2D animations. Whilst computer-generated animation allows you a lot more freedom with camera moves, I wanted to keep the camera locked to give it a more gentle feel.
5. You can see my work . . . on my YouTube channel here.
Curios About is a series featuring works by Dublin artists, curated for us by our friends at the Square in the Circle blog, and hosted there as well as here.
Each artist is asked to submit an image of one work and answer a set of questions about it. We’d love it if you’d submit something you’ve made.